Thursday, March 01, 2007

Winter Reading

I've had this growing stack of books threatening to attack me whenever I need a new pair of socks (nearly everyday) and I've decided to deal with it by reading a book for every book I add to it. Not as diligent as some may wish me to be, but it keeps it from looming as high as it might be otherwise. In an effort to not immediately forget the pieces and masterpieces along the way as I slice through the literary jungle that has become my room, I'm going to try and document my reactions and recommendations here (huh... like a slicer review of sorts...).

The Keys of the Kingdom by AJ Cronin. I picked this one up because it's the book my father referred to most often when he was stressing religious tolerance and exploration to me as I grew up. I'm exploring again and decided to go to the source. The prose seemed sensationalistic and heavy handed at times, and quick witted and poignant at other times. The story is much the same. All in all, a very nice read as the message behind the would-be-trite was sincere, if trying to push the envelope. A young Catholic loses both of his parents to Scotish sectarian violence and is guided by his relatives into the priesthood. He falls in love, she dies. He goes into the priesthood. It's set just past the turn of the century and written pre-Vatican 2, so it's common practice for the clergy to be heavyhanded and self-occupied, while our hero aspires toward austerity and subtlety. He's sent off to China where he develops an affinity for the people through serving them as best as he is able. He refuses those who try to convert out of eagerness to please or to seek advantages for themselves. He sets up a school and a garden and negotiates peace between warlords. Other priests deride him for not following strict Church dogma, not converting as many locals as possible, and being too proud in his own asceticism. Good Quote: "... Mrs. Glendenning, who cannot of course help her extreme stoutness, came to you for spiritual guidance you looked at her and replied, 'Eat less. the gates of paradise are narrow.'" In a world dominated by religious extremism, it's refreshing and inspiring to read of sincere people who give themselves to their faith without turning on others (although that quote out of context seems less than compassionate).



There's more to follow, soon.

Please, as always, leave any comments, criticisms and questions.

Also, keep coming back for updates in the links section (any and all suggestions welcome there too!) and news on my chapbook's struggle towards becoming a physical reality.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home